We have to protect our oceans! Jenny Desmond requested that we take a day to talk about ocean protection.
6 Threats to Ocean Life
Plastic pollution: Animals are killed by ingesting or by being tangled in plastic.
Overfishing: Taking too many fish out of the ocean threatens the ecosystem.
Whaling: There are just over 100 West Pacific grey whales left in the wild.
Climate change: Coral bleaching, habitat loss, and rising sea levels are all caused by climate change.
Oil and gas: A lot of oil and gas reserves are under the sea floor.
Shipping: Ships create a lot of damage, including oil spills and anchor damage.
8 Ways to Help
1. Reduce your carbon footprint - take these P5B challenges 3. Participate in beach cleanups (if you live on the coast)
4. Choose sustainable seafood (or don’t eat it at all)
5. Buy sustainable products from sustainable companies
6. Avoid using pesticides and other toxic chemicals
7. Be aware of your impact while on vacation
8. Cut down on all waste - take this challenge: Upcycle
“Oceans Issues & Threats.” Greenpeace USA, www.greenpeace.org/usa/oceans/issues/.
“Threats to Oceans and Coasts.” WWF, wwf.panda.org/our_work/oceans/problems/.
“10 Things You Can Do to Save the Ocean.” National Geographic, 29 May 2019, www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/oceans/take-action/10-things-you-can-do-to-save-the-ocean/.
Smithsonian Ocean Team. How You Can Help the Ocean, 14 May 2018, ocean.si.edu/conservation/climate-change/how-you-can-help-ocean.
These challenges ask you